Monday, October 7, 2013

The World's End


The World's End - 109Min – R

The final installment of the Cornetto Trilogy does not disappoint. Admittedly I am a huge Simon Pegg fan and I have been since Spaced. I am looking at this as a separate movie from the previous ones because they aren’t tied together except for the wonderfully delightful Cornetto cameo in every movie. So setting down my copy of Nerd Do Well I am going to try and be as objective as I can. I LOVED IT!!

This movie surrounds the life Gary King (Simon Pegg) who is stuck in the past trying to hold on to the glory days of his youth. While all of his friends have moved on in their lives, Gary has not. While in group therapy he realizes they never got a chance to finish an epic pub crawl known as The Golden Mile. He gathers his friends together to try and complete what he failed to do in their youth: a pint in all twelve pubs in one night ending at the pub known as The Worlds End.

Gary talks his old friends, Andy (Nick Frost), Oliver (Martin Freeman), Steven (Paddy Considine) and Peter (Eddie Marsan) into going back to Newton Haven to finally complete The Golden Mile, Going home is hard. Nothing is ever quite the same, especially as almost everyone you knew has been replaced with an identical-looking robot.

By the by on our trip to London we were actually in the town of Welwyn Garden City where they shot this film. We did not know it at the time but once the group got back to their home town my wife recognized it immediately. I said all small London suburbs look the same. She was right. POINT wife.

Edgar Write co-wrote this with Simon Pegg and he does an excellent job of mixing in emotional connections with the characters and humor at the absurdity of the fact they have to fight killer robots. You can pick out people in your life from the types of characters they are portraying. They are so identifiable you have the person who is pining for a love they passed up, or the over-achiever or the Bluetooth guy. Everyone has one friend who is still trapped in the high school glory days. If your circle of friends doesn't have one, then it might be you.

Edgar Write makes a well-balanced film, the action scenes are spot on. It has the pace of an Asian action movie with sci-fi elements and a great mixture of humor and seriousness. The fights have attack and counter-attack pacing that is on par with a few Jackie Chan fight scenes but no death-defying feats. Plus, it gets quite bloody, but not bloody as the robots all use a blue coolant-like substance for blood.

This level of work is nothing new to writer and crew. It’s like his previous work, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. The truly good story-telling is when you allow the audience to feel for the characters. Through the story we learn more and more about Gary King and realize how lost in his youth he is.

Another good thing about this crew is they can be used as an example for movie studios, if you have a good cast and crew and you want to do another movie please don’t do a sequel just to do a sequel. Here is a perfect example of working with people you like but doing a different movie every time. I could watch more from this group of performers. Ok, so fine! I am letting my fanboy self write this review. So what? I love this film, so sue me.

If you excuse me I am going to go re-watch Spaced and plan my movie marathon when this comes out on 
DVD. I wonder if I could order Cornettos from London to Denver.


What movie have you been looking forward to seeing and completely enjoyed once you saw it?


No comments: